Established in 1922
Noëlie et Ferdinand Fiola purchased Homestead in 1922. The house, was remodelled and additions to the existing home were added, as the couple raised their 18 children. Noëlie, always a hard working woman, provided for her daughter Amandine’s studies by whipping and shaping butter every week, and selling it to the covenant. In the cold winter months when the milk and cream from the cows were in lower supply, butter was rationed by the family to to permit the young girl to finish school. In years of drought, when the grasshoppers would destroy the harvest, the Fiola family were still able to survive, because of Noëlie’s hard work.
In 1956 Ferdinand sold his farm to his son Rosaire Fiola. Rosaire and his wife Dora (LeBrun) ran a dairy farm on the land until 1988 with their 8 children.
In 1953 Louis Fiola (brother of Rosaire) and Jeanne established themselves on the NE corner of the section 14-9-7E where they raised 9 children. The farm started as a small dairy and later converted to a commercial cattle farm until 1985. They also raised chickens, rabbits and maintained a large garden to support the family.
In 2012, Joey Fiola and Christel Lanthier moved into Louis’ family homestead. In 2013 Joey and Christel purchased 60 acres of Rosaire Fiola’s homestead including the family home and barn. Louis Fiola’s grandson Joey, now runs the farm on 120 acres, making hay, grains (oats and ancient grains) as well as a small flock of specialized sheep and pastured chickens.